Monday, July 11, 2011

El encierro - The Running of the Bulls in Pamplona



This weekend we had the opportunity to visit Pamplona and witness the Running of the Bulls firsthand. The whole city has a pulsing vibe that is distinct from anything I've ever encountered. This normally small town of a few thousand accomodates around 1 million people every year for this world-renowned event. Last time I was in Madrid I witnessed a bullfight, but I felt very much a spectator. In contrast, even just watching El Encierro en La Plaza de Toros en Pamplona, one feels very much like a partcipant. I was warned before I got there that I thought I knew what it would be like but I had no idea....very apt advice. Downtown Pamplona was crazy during the night, with the fireworks show and general celebrating EVERYWHERE. The first morning we watched the Encierro on the big screen and then the bulls chase the runners in the stadium. It looked insane...but something about it called to me. The next day, I decided to fulfill a lifelong dream and actually participate in this crazy event. I ran with the bulls! I fell right before they approached and thankfully made my way to safety under the gate as they passed. It was terrifying but exhilirating but made me feel so alive. Afterwards, we met up with some locals and talked for a while, made some new friends.
We also got to see the beautiful seaside towns of San Sebastian, in the very north of Spain, and Bearritz, in the south of France. The views, seafood and atmosphere there were excellent. We toured the medieval town of Medinaceli on the way home, then tired and hungry returned to the dorms to prepare for our last week of classes here in Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment